Sunday 12 January 2014

Belated Blogmas - the final countdown..

haul of the last week of blogmas..

Today's post is going to be a super short one. At least that's the plan, we all know how much I like to go off on a tangent...but anyway. During December, as many of you will already know, I began a series of 'daily' posts cataloging what products I received in my ridiculously extravagant advent calendar. If this is the first you're hearing of it, feel free to take a browse back over my blog to catch up - that is until you reach the post about the 17th of December when all suddenly went quiet and I went MIA for just shy of a month. I know, worst blogger ever. In my defence, in the lead up to Christmas I was working an awful lot more than initially expected, and thus my blogging schedule (if you can call a post-it note covered in semi-illegible scribble that) had to be abandoned. However, given that I loathe to leave anything unfinished I thought I'd take the time today to just fill you all in of the last 7 days of 'Blogmas'. Better late than never.


Day 18 yielded a tube of the Dr. Lipp 'original nipple balm for lips'. Intriguing, I know. Basically, this is one of those versatile balm products that can be used almost anywhere (I guess even on nipples if you felt so inclined.) I'm a huge fan of these multi-purpose SOS balms - an all time fave being Elizabeth Arden's Eight Hour Cream. Strangely enough, I find that the Dr Lipp balm actually smells incredibly similar to Eight Hour Cream, albeit slightly less strong. Perhaps this is due to their lanolin content? (This is complete conjecture, I actually have no idea and should not be quoted on this. Ok? End of disclaimer.) 


Dr Lipp Nipple Balm for Lips, Q Awe Fine Fragrance Body Spray, 
Model Co Lengthening Mascara. 


Next up was a mascara from Model Co. The packaging is fairly nondescript, and unfortunately so is the product. I've been using this a little bit recently, mostly because I opened it and didn't want it to dry out without my ever properly trying it, and I haven't been blown away. It's fine, but it's certainly no competition for any of my high end faves. Let's just say, the people behind YSL, Bobbi Brown, and Lancome can certainly rest easy. On day 20, I received a body spray. But before you fixate upon images of the Impulse and Charlie ranges in the back corner of Boots - as a teenager, Charlie Impulse was a personal fave - and run to the hills, this is a body spray with a bit of a difference. The major difference being that it actually smells nice. (No offence Charlie Impulse, it was good while it lasted..) Q Awe The Fine Fragrance Body Spray is described as a 'fusion of Jasmine and Rose.' It's certainly got a floral edge, but not in a cloying, overwhelming sense. As far as body sprays go, it's a good one - never advisable to replace perfume, but certainly worth keeping to hand after the gym (HA) or after you do anything else that requires physical exertion. (Minds out of the gutter please.)


Alterna Bamboo Smooth Kendi Oil Dry Oil Mist (phew), 
Neom Moroccan Blush Rose Organic Hand Cream.


Next up was a product from a brand called Alterna, the Bamboo Smooth Kendi Oil Dry Oil Mist. This is basically a hair oil, but in a handy spray bottle. I've never actually tried a hair oil before - crazy I know, given the hype surrounding Moroccan Oil. I'm not sure whether or not my hair will like this given it's tendency to err on the oily side (TMI?) but I suppose only time will tell. On day 22, I received a product from Neom. Neom is one of those brands that I feel like I've wanted to try for forever, probably mostly due to the fact that Estee is always talking about how great their candles are. The Moroccan Blush Rose Organic Hand Cream is everything you'd expect/want it to be. I'm a huge fan of rose scents (much to my father's chagrin) and this certainly didn't disappoint me. I'm also a hand cream obsessive. Just putting that out there. Basically, it was a good day.


Weleda Skin Food.


The penultimate day of calendar related joy saw Weleda's skin food appearing into my life. How glad I am that it did. This is basically a little green tube of goodness. Apparently, Victoria Beckham swears by this (although admittedly this could sway you either way depending on how you feel about Posh..) It's basically a multi-purpose moisturising cream, something that I'll probably always have with me when I travel due to its sheer versatility. Finally, day 24 yielded Himalayan Detox Salts from Therapie. I have yet to give these a go, but I'm super excited to do so. I'm such a bath person (as you'll no doubt be able to tell when I post the beauty/skincare edition of what I got for Christmas in the next few days..) and these particular bath salts are supposed to be really good for stress and the like. Something I'm generally in dire need of...

Last but not least, a big thank you so much to everyone who read 'Blogmas' as it happened. Lots of you sent me little messages to tell me how much you were enjoying it, which was just super lovely. I hope this haul post has somewhat made up for the fact that I went AWOL. In terms of whether or not I felt that the calendar was good value for money, I have to answer in the affirmative. Yes, it was expensive, and really an unnecessary extravagance, but it was also really exciting to have a little beauty product every day. If I feel like I can justify it, I'll almost definitely do it again next year. Now we just have to get through the next 10 and a half advent calendarless months... God help us all.

          
P.S If you were hoping that 2014 would be the year I get good at taking pictures, you'll clearly have already been disappointed...Sorry.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment