Sunday 29 September 2013

back to basics.

a serious downsizing of my make-up bag.

I feel it's probably no secret that I really like make-up. Boots is essentially my second home and I spent a large proportion of my teenage years making various product related faux pas that I probably shouldn't mention this side of the grave (read: metallic gold lips, pink shimmery cream eyeshadow, and Nivea young tinted moisturiser that definitely did not adapt to your skin tone no matter what the box said.) But then, thankfully, I discovered Urban Decay and things started to look up. In short, I've always been a bit of a product junkie, but recently I've discovered that it's often better to just strip it back to the essentials.

This revelation has mainly occurred due to the fact that I now have to get up fairly early for work. But given that I really love sleep and hate mornings (dawn is the devil), I've found that once I've finally dragged myself out of bed I don't have all that much time left to put make-up on. Because of this, I've recently perfected a pared down list of products for the perfect, daily no-makeup makeup look, that I thought I'd share with you.


the 'basics'.


The first product to make the cut is the Diorskin Nude BB Creme. It's essentially lightweight coverage at its best - effortlessly evening out skin tone without being thick and cakey. I can see my freckles through this, which I personally quite like. It's a great everyday base if you're looking for something with sheer coverage that'll sort any discolouration or pigmentation issues out. However, it certainly won't completely cover blemishes, that's just not in its job description. But something more than capable of rising to the occasion is Collection's Lasting Perfection Concealer. Without a doubt, one of the best concealers on the market, whilst also being one of the cheapest. Anyone and everyone in the beauty world has already raved about this, so I won't go on and on about it, but in short, if you haven't tried this out already, you definitely should.

Next onto under eye magic workers. I get fairly bad dark circles, which is probably due to a combination of genetics, and perpetually not getting enough sleep. It's often necessary to call in the big guns for my under eye area, and that generally means Bobbi Brown's Corrector. This was recommended to me by my friend Leah when I was rifling through her make-up bag (something of a habit of mine). One motivation for buying this product was admittedly the adorable compact it comes in, but packaging aside, this covers even the darkest of under eye circles. Something I wouldn't really want to be without when getting ready for a long shift at work. I then tend to follow my corrector with a touch of the cult classic Touche Eclat from YSL. I use No. 1, which is the original highlighter shade, and it just further brightens up under my eyes, making me look deceptively more awake than I actually am. A dream of a product. To finish my eyes off, I then apply a slick of Bobbi Brown's Intensifying Long-Wear Mascara. Bobbi Brown actually sent me this, the lovely people that they are, but when it's run out I'll probably be hotfooting it to the nearest counter to pick up another. It's lengthening, volumising, and incredibly black. Just about everything anyone looks for in a mascara.

I'm a relative newcomer when it comes to eyebrows - in terms of defining them, not having them - so I like to keep it really simple by just filling in any slightly bald areas with Soap & Glory's Archery in the shade Brownie Points. Moving onto blush, I crack open Benefit's Benetint and blend a few dots into the apples of my cheeks. It's gives a sheer natural-ish flush which I then tend to top up slightly with something a bit more pigmented. My current favourite is Bobbi Brown's Pale Pink, a blush I've actually had for years and should probably consider replacing. It's a super pretty, everyday, matte pink. Great if you're wanting something a bit more subtle - as much as I love Coralista, I don't feel it's the most understated of cheek adornments.

To finish everything off I apply a touch of Rimmel's Stay Matte Powder in transparent - combination skin is the bane of my life - and then a bit of Lucas' Pawpaw Ointment to my lips. Pawpaw cream is basically an all round do-gooder, in a similar vein to Eight Hour Cream, and is great if you get really chapped lips in the colder months. Often I'll just leave it there and run out the door, but if I do happen to have a second or two to spare, I apply a Lancome Juicy Tube in Fraise, and then I leg it and hope I make it to the morning briefing...


me wearing the finished basic make-up without any filter. 
which is a shame, because filters make everyone look better...


                                  


No comments:

Post a Comment