Monday 16 September 2013

BIG names on the blog.

sorry i'm not sorry.

Today's post is essentially a high-end haul, so I'm sorry if those offend you. In my defence, it was my birthday...* Also, this is quite a long one, so you might want to get a cup of tea before you start reading. Just a heads up.

I've discovered in more recent years, that I've become increasingly careful with what I spend my birthday and Christmas money on. Clearly, one of the true perks of being a poor and lowly student for the vast majority of the year (as if being reduced to eating dry ryvita weren't enough of one on its own), is that I've started to give a lot more thought as to where I should drop the sizeable amounts of money that such happy occasions tend to amass. This time, I chose Boots.

There's something very special about Boots, and I'm not sure I could ever really pinpoint what that is. But something about it makes me keep wanting to return. I've tread it's hallowed halls many a time, most frequently with my shopping partner in crime, Alice, or with my (very reluctant/unfortunately beady eyed) mother who has a tendency to ask all the wrong questions: 'Do you really need another mascara?' and 'Didn't you buy a lip gloss just the other day?'. The worst thing I've probably ever done is introduce her to Origins, namely because she now knows just how much something has cost when it appears in the bathroom. But that's a whole different story.

A definite curse of mine, is that I have incredibly expensive taste for someone with such a meagre income - currently, literally nothing - so, if I want super nice things I tend to have to wait until Christmas/my birthday rolls around in order to obtain them. Luckily though, I'm one of those people who'd rather have one really amazing thing, than 50 'nice' things, so it doesn't really bother me blowing an awful lot of cash on only a couple of products. Which is probably for the best, because that's essentially what I've done in this haul.


from left: Diorskin Nude BB Creme, Chanel Chance Eau Tendre, Hydraluron.

The first purchase I knew I had to make was the Diorskin Nude BB Creme in shade 001. (Shout out to fellow pale people.) The blame for this lies solely on the shoulders of fellow beauty junkie Alice. Whilst staying at her house recently I was rifling through her make-up bag, (as is a habit of mine), and I discovered it sitting at the top. Where it belongs. I can't lie, I'm a definite sucker for nice packaging, and this BB Creme wins serious points there. Plus, the pump dispenser makes this a dream to use. (As much as I might love you Revlon Nearly Naked - sort it out.)

After 'swatching' a touch of this on the back of my hand (professional blogger much?) I was completely sold. In terms of what I think of it on the whole, I'll have to get back to you. I haven't really used it for long enough to give an honest, balanced opinion. What I can tell you however, is that I really like the level of coverage it provides. I'm categorically not a heavy face girl - in my opinion, if someone can clearly see that I'm wearing make-up, that's the time to go home and crack open the micellar solution. For me, it's natural make-up all the way, and this is a perfect product for achieving that 'no make-up' look. In short, it's a peach. 


close up of the super sheeny Dior packaging.

The next thing I knew I wanted to pick up was a new fragrance. I've had an interesting journey when it comes to perfume - it all began with Charlie Impulse, a turquoise hued liquid that I used to liberally spray myself with before heading off to 'youth club' (read: a heavily chaperoned 'tuck shop' held in the playground of my primary school.) I then moved on to DKNY's 'Be Delicious', a scent that I'm still fairly partial to, although it reminds me of being 14 years old a bit too much for my liking (read: a curious infatuation with all redheaded boys in our school and unfathomable love for any and every gel pen.)

I then flirted with Jo Malone fragrances, only to be bitterly disappointed with their lasting power on me. Perhaps my skin has an odd PH, or perhaps I'm just one of life's true unfortunates, but sadly, for me, Jo Malone just isn't the way to go. That's when I discovered Chanel. The high priestess of anything and everything. For nights out I still favour the timeless Coco Mademoiselle, and I've already decided that No.5 is what I'm going to sport as I head into my twilight years, but when I smelt Chanel Chance Eau Tendre, I knew is was the one.

the one.

I'd say it's definitely more floral than it's counterparts - the original Chance and Chance eau fraiche. For me, eau fraiche is a bit too citrus and 'zingy' (forever excellent at describing fragrance), and I can't really tell you much about the original Chance, because I can't actually remember what it smelt like. It clearly made a very big impact. There also seems to be a woody note to eau tendre, something that I don't really tend to go for in perfumes, but it adds a definite depth to the fragrance. Another great thing is that it really hangs around a long time on me, something that I've found to be true with all Chanel perfumes I've used.

However, if you're considering a purchase, I'd definitely recommend that you spray some on your wrist at the beginning of a shopping day to test it's endurance for yourself. Another thing to consider is that perfumes can genuinely smell completely different on different people - my mother once famously remarked that Chanel's iconic No.5 fragrance, a firm favourite of my glamorous grandma, smelt like 'cat pee' on her - so, that's something to bear in mind. (The fact that fragrances smell differently on different people, not my mother's choice of colourful scent description.) Obviously, Chanel would be an expensive 'punt'. But that's enough of perfume 101.

The final thing that found it's way into my basket was Hydraluron. I've heard lots about this from countless sources - Zoe, Anna, Lily, Caroline Hirons... - all of it good. In brief, it's essentially a serum that is supposed to hydrate the face deep down before moisturiser. I haven't tried this out yet because I'm waiting until the weather gets truly bitter. As soon as summer turns into autumn, the drier parts of my combination face fight for dominance, and I'm hoping this might help keep it at bay. But only time will tell.

Another quick word of warning in regards to Hydraluron - the size of the packaging in relation to the size of the tube of product is almost laughable. I believe it's a similar case with other products that Indeed Labs sell, so just be aware of that before you part with your money.  


close up of the teeny Hydraluron tube. 


also, a look at the packaging. because it's all really beaut.


So, that's it for this post, I do plan on properly reviewing the products once I'm given them all a fair road test, so keep your eyes peeled for that. There probably won't be another one of these high-end hauls until Christmas, regrettably. Although, I was informed today that the festive day in question is actually only 100 days away(!) so I'm sure another haul will roll around sooner than you think.  


*poor person disclaimer.
P.S. I'm sorry my photography skills aren't up to much. Hopefully things will improve as we go along.

       

5 comments:

  1. How is the Dior BB cream only £2 more than MAC (the one I currently use)?? I know where my advantage card points are going next! And I can't speak for this serum, but of ones I've used in the past a little goes a long, long way (for example, I'm currently using an Emma Hardie one and I only need 1.5 pumps to cover my face and neck), so it should hopefully last a long time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS happy birthday!! Which is what my initial comment meant to be, I just got slightly distracted...

      Delete
    2. Crazy stuff! The Dior BB cream is really good, I'd definitely recommend it when you've got enough points! I used to really like using the Caudalie serum, so I'm hoping this one will be as good. Thanks Rebecca! I hope you're well xx

      Delete
  2. when it comes to some blogs i just simmer through the posts but I LOVE your style of writing Jess, it's so witty and informative and i read every word. who cares about photos when your writing more than makes up for it. your mums description of the chanel perfume is hilarious.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jess, this is such a lovely comment - thank you millions. I'm really glad that you enjoy reading my blog, it means a lot. much love xx

      Delete