Wednesday 11 September 2013

midweek motivation #3


Life is unfair. Often very much so. And it's this sentiment that today's midweek motivation post is centered around. But not in the sense that 'life's unfair and therefore let's all sit about and feel sad' - although admittedly I do occasionally find myself casually wallowing in some supposed 'misery' brought about by a first world problem or two - but instead, in the sense that 'you only get out of life what you put in, and therefore it's super important to give it your best shot.'

I know that it can be difficult to motivate yourself constantly, particularly when people around you seem to be given everything that you'd really like on a plate. (Something that appears to be happening an awful lot recently.) In times like that it's very easy to want to simply throw in the towel, eat macaroni cheese, and feel sorry for yourself. But the truth is, in life, nothing worth having will ever come easily to you - the best things in life have to be worked for. And whilst this might make life more difficult, a positive side to it is that things mean a whole lot more if you've encountered a struggle in order to achieve them.

Returning to university for third year after being incredibly unwell was not an easy feat. At times I very much felt like I wanted to give up, but given the daily struggle I encountered over the course of that year, my presence at graduation felt even more tremendous. I'd survived. I'd achieved what I set out to do, and the fact that it was such a difficult journey for me made that achievement all the more admirable, and the glass of champagne at the end of it that bit sweeter.

Of the all the quote clad post-it notes that were stuck about my desk last year, one in particular has a very special place in my heart. It was adorned with a quote by Milton, from his epic poem Paradise Lost, and it read: 'Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light.' And this is something I try to bear in mind at all times. Any achievement worth its salt requires a lot of hard work, and it's not always going to be an easy journey, but eventually it'll happen. And it'll be worth it.
    
So, to sum up, (unfortunately) nothing worth having ever comes easily, and life can be a really long, difficult struggle, but you've just got to keep on keeping on. All your hard work will be rewarded eventually. It will all pay off. Keep going, you'll get there in the end. I'm living proof that that much is true.


P.S. I'm sorry if this post seems disjointed or a bit 'off' - I'm currently in bed, ill, watching gangster films, and it's possible I might be slightly delirious!  
      

No comments:

Post a Comment