Monday 2 December 2013

Advent Calendar Unboxing - aka Blogmas #1

the You Beauty advent calendar.

So, I promised you all a series of daily posts in the run up to Christmas - something I've very imaginatively decided to call 'Blogmas' - but I never actually elaborated as to what they might contain. Let me fill you in right now (in case the title hasn't already sufficiently tipped you off...)


Given that I have no real grasp of the importance or gravity of money, I purchased myself a really rather expensive, fancy advent calendar, and thought that I might show you all what I get each day and also do some mini product reviews along the way.  The calendar in question is the You Beauty Advent Calender. Beauty based advent calendars seem to be incredibly in vogue currently, with everyone from Boots to Benefit trying to get in on the festive game. The reason I chose this one was partially due to it's middle ground price point (the Boots offering was £30, whilst the Selfridges one came in at an eye watering £84), and partially due to the fact that I got hooked on the concept all the way back in 2012, but as a lowly student there was no way I could possibly afford one. 

Essentially, the plan is for me to talk about what I get in the calendar on a daily basis and then form some sort of conclusion as to whether or not it was worth the hype or money come December 26th. Truly groundbreaking stuff. But first off, a little bit of 'housekeeping' and some general information about the calendar.


            excitement mounts.


The calendar is priced at £49.95 - something that prompted my Father to very loudly question my sanity. But, to give it its dues, the calendar did arrive in a surprisingly large box and felt incredibly substantial and weighty*. (Read: me having extreme difficulty in grappling with it in one hand whilst simultaneously having to sign for it.)  It's always a good thing to feel like you're actually getting something for your money. Of course in this case, only time will tell just how good the things hiding behind the doors are. The calendar does actually come with a booklet filled with information about the contents, but given that I wanted it to remain a surprise, I can't actually comment on how useful or in depth that is. 

Anyway, without further ado, let's get on to what was behind the very first door...


day 1. a super exciting Sisley offering. 


I must say I was actually fairly excited to see a Sisley product behind door number one. It's one of those brands that I always glance at longingly when I'm loitering around the beauty department in House of Fraser. But it's probably for the best that I keep my distance, given its notoriety in terms of its price point. The calendar's offering - The Black Rose Cream Mask - is certainly no exception to this rule, given that the full size comes in at £88. Ouch. 


Sisley Black Rose Cream Mask.


First impressions of the mask are overwhelmingly good (no surprises there, it's certainly no secret that I like the finer things in life...) it's got a lovely texture and light rosy smell. It's definitely a high end sample, the sort I always hoped Glossybox would come up with, but was then always left bitterly disappointed. I'm incredibly excited to try it out and I'll let you know how I get on. I will however proceed with caution. Given the price, let's just hope I don't fall in love with it...

So, that's it for Blogmas #1 and what was behind the first door, but I'll be back with another post tomorrow about product number 2. So far, so good...



    
* 'Rather weighty this!' Top points if you happen to know what film that's from.

No comments:

Post a Comment